[C320-list] Chicago - Mack Singlehanded race

Stan ola7442000 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:37:40 PDT 2006

Hi Joan,

It was the 2004 race that had all the damage.  We left Chicago with 22-25
Kts. winds gusting to 32 Kts. The seas were 4-6 feet.  All on our nose.  The
major disaster was one boat lost its rig just north of Chicago.  There were
a lot of autopilot failures.  Some major leaks and a number of routine
mechanical failures.  Even in those conditions it was a beautiful day.  I
could still see the Hancock building in Chicago 41 miles away.  At about 8
PM the wind died for about a half hour, then turned on our tail at 15-20
Kts.  I ran all night right at the North star.  One of my best sails.  That
night was truly the reason I bought a sailboat.  Finished second that year.
64 hours.

Stan
"Our Little Amusement" #744