[C320-list] Rough idle on diesel due to Balmar Alternator?

Alex Krause al_exander at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 21:24:51 PDT 2006

Larry and Charlie,

  Thank you for your input.  I pushed the idle to 1600 rpm (manual says 1100-1200) to compensate without much luck.  Any higher and I'm concerned for the gearbox and drip less seal when shifting gears.  The Westerbeke does not like a low idle, at 700rpm it really shakes, rattles and rolls.

  The problem has really come up since we started the trips to Catalina and the battery's get low.  For day sails the alternator really does not have to operate but occasionally occurs.

  I'll look into the tachometer takeoff as this would be the right thing to do (the switch would be more of a band aid, but a necessary band aid).  Both filter/separator and primary filter were changed last month.  We are heading to the Catalina Rendezvous next weekend so I'll try and hook up a temporary switch to the regulator for diagnostic purposes.

  Alex
  Coruna Cat #273

WindSwept <c320_windswept at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Alex,

I have #246 with the Westerbeke and I have added a 100 amp Balmar. In my
experience the alternator should not cause the rough running you are
describing.

Someone else pointed out that the Westerbeke will run very rough if it is
allowed to idle too low. This is correct. In my case, if the idle is set
below 1000 rpm it shakes, rattles and rolls. Well not quite, but you get
the idea.

You may need to turn up your idle speed a little. It is also possible that
the person who originally installed the Barmar did not make needed
adjustments to match the old tach with the new alternator which is the
source for engine RPM readings.

However, whatever the engine RPM reading is, I don't think it should drop to
50% of that figure even if the alternator is charging. I suspect something
else may be occurring.

I recently had the experience of my engine RPMs dropping from something like
2500 to 1000 and surging back and forth while motoring. Later I traced the
problem to a dirty primary fuel filter. If you haven't changed yours since
your purchase, you may want to consider it, especially if you don't know
when it was changed last.

Larry
C320 #246