[C320-list] Noise Problem with Perkins Engine

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jul 10 13:05:22 PDT 2006

Hi Bob,

   Adding insulation doesn't really have much (if any) effect on the ambiant
temp of the engine compartment contrary to what you might think.

   The engine produces quite a bit of heat, but if you think about it, the
raw water/heat exchanger/fresh water cooling system is responsible for
transferring all the excess heat from the engine block to the exhaust water
and out the "tail pipe".

   The air in this compartment gets sucked into the air intake anyway and is
replaced by whatever air finds its way into the compartment from the spaces
below.  (Now, there's a system that needs improvement)

   The engine covers are not meant to transfer heat out to the cabin, so
adding sound deadening insulation only amounts to softening the harshness of
the engine noise.  FYI:  It makes a big difference, I noticed that
immediately when you started your engine this weekend...

   Bottom line,  don't worry about it.  The engine block itself runs at
~180, so unless the engine itself is overheating, the compartment is
typically less than 200 degrees regardless of how long you motor and whether
you have 6" of insulation or none.

Hope this helps.

-JeffH