[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot failure

Ben Waltuck benw at sun.com
Fri Jul 21 11:14:50 PDT 2006

Has anyone replaced their raymarine ST4000 with the newer MKII wheel drive?

I send my unit in to raymarine for repair, and they said that both the
control unit and drive unit were broken.. and that it would be $299 to
replace my old drive unit or $439 to get the newer MKII drive unit (on
top of $199 to repair the control head). I decided to go ahead for the
newer MKII unit, but I seem to recall a post sometime back where someone
mentioned that they were not able to fit the MKII unit without moving
the engine control pod down..
So my question is.. has anyone successfully replaced the ST4000 with the
newer MKII wheel drive?
AND, did you have to lower your engine control panel?  Is that as
difficult as it looks?

My fear is that lowering the control panel might be a bit of a project
if I have to drill a new screw hole because I'd first need to get all of
the wires out of the pedestal.. and that could be a bit of a pain.

Thanks!