[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot failure

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Jul 21 12:22:18 PDT 2006

Ben,

I installed the new wheel drive this Spring. Lowering the pod is no problem.
Remove the front panel, unscrew the 2 screws that attach the pod to the
binnacle, remove the caulk that seals the aft binnacle post to the pod so
that the pod will slide down the post, drill 2 holes through the back of the
pod, bolt and seal the pod back to the binnacle.

You might want to install the wheel drive so that the clutch and motor are
in the 5:00 o'clock position like the original unit was. The 2 positioning
holes that are provided will only allow the unit to be mounted so that the
motor is in the 11:00 o'clock position. If you mount it there you will have
to deal with moving or extending the wires that connect to the unit, as well
as the aesthetic differences. Repositioning requires drilling a new locator
hole in the forward ring of the wheel drive. You will also need to drill a
hole in the pod to move the engine-stop handle outboard about an inch so
that it does not hit the motor. Fill the old hole with a white plastic
snap-in button that you can get at Ace.

Good luck.

JeffC