[C320-list] Reason #1073 initially failed NSW Survey

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Mon Jul 24 17:52:29 PDT 2006

NSW Maritime approved the 1996 plans, but gave as the reason for failing the
boat that "we inspected your boat to confirm that it was built to the plans
submitted.  Unfortunately, the inspection showed that it was not.  In
particular, some buldheads were not as shown in the plans and much of the
structure was not bonded to the hull.  These are major issues".

The extra fibreglassing the dealer did has satisfied them and we now have
the certificate.  I don't know enough about construction to comment on if
they are wrong or right about the issues being serious for inshore sailing.
I'm sure the boat would have been just as safe without the extra
fibreglassing.  I think a lot of other well known brands of boats have been
having difficulty getting through survey so it's not just a reflection on
Catalinas.  If they can be approved for survey in Scotland, they must be
pretty strong.  I'm not planning to do a Sydney to Hobart on her.

Thanks for whoever told me their 3 washboards DO fit next to the engine box.
The dealer has done some work on this and they now fit in my preferred spot
for them.  Without the list I would have assumed there was a design change
making them no longer fit.

Annie Bennett