[C320-list] Handling the mainsail

charles walsh chazw199 at msn.com
Wed Jul 26 05:27:46 PDT 2006

About two years ago, before Sears sold the right angle cordless drill, I bought a 19.2 volt cordless drill with 400 lb torque and a winch insert from a Catalina owner.  The drill worked well until the last three feet and then I had to winch up by hand but it did save me a lot of effort.  I have now found the batteries need replacement as they can barely lift the sail half way and the batteries quit.  I used to get about three lifts out of them before the batteries needed a recharge now they need recharge after every use.  Replacement batteries cost about $52.00 a pair.  I haven't made up my mind whether to replace the batteries or buy a 24 volt Dewalt with about 500 lb torque, which may lift the sail all the way up.

Charlie Walsh
Windrifter #317