[C320-list] (no subject)

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Thu Jul 27 09:24:37 PDT 2006

Bryan,

I installed a Xantrex XC3012 about 2 weeks ago. I looked at both Charles and
Xantrex models. My conclusion was that the Charles units were more expensive
and didn't have any additional features to justify the expense.

Xantrex has 2 models that I considered. The Truecharge 40+ is about the same
price as the XC3012 and has a higher charging capacity (40 amp vs. 30 amp),
but it lacks many of the XC3012 features. The XC3012 has the ability to
charge any mix of gel, AGM and flooded battery types. Also, the batteries
are monitored and charged completely independently. One battery can be in
float mode while another is in bulk mode and the third is in absorption
mode. It also has the best RF shielding of Xantrex's models and doesn't
cause any interference on my radio or TV.

 I bought the unit from West, but I had them match the price that I got from
Jack Rabbit Marine (JRM). JRM has great prices and customer support. Buy
from them if they have your choice in stock.

Installation was easy. The new charger won't fit on the old mounting board,
so I just screwed a bigger board to the original and attached the charger to
the new board. The unit has a temperature sensor, but I haven't tried
running its wires from the batteries back to the charger yet.

Good Luck.

JeffC