[C320-list] Handling the mainsail

SailorLew at aol.com SailorLew at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 16:13:16 PDT 2006

In a message dated 7/26/2006 8:29:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
chazw199 at msn.com writes:
About two years ago, before Sears sold the right angle cordless drill, I
bought a 19.2 volt cordless drill with 400 lb torque and a winch insert from a
Catalina owner.  The drill worked well until the last three feet and then I had
to winch up by hand but it did save me a lot of effort.  I have now found the
batteries need replacement as they can barely lift the sail half way and the
batteries quit.  I used to get about three lifts out of them before the
batteries needed a recharge now they need recharge after every use.  Replacement
batteries cost about $52.00 a pair.  I haven't made up my mind whether to replace
the batteries or buy a 24 volt Dewalt with about 500 lb torque, which may lift
the sail all the way up.
Have you every tried using the drill to trim the jib when tacking?
Lew