[C320-list] Water in Bilge and Keel Bolts

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Jun 2 08:35:24 PDT 2006

After chasing all the usual sources ('fringe drain, water tanks, air
conditioner, various water heater sources, area under the galley drawers,
packing gland, stern shower hose, emergency tiller access) I discovered that
the stringers are hollow (sometimes they are filled with foam) and can hold
a fair amount of water. Water that has accumulated in the bilge enters or
leaves the ends of the stringers as the boat heels under sail. Water can
also weep into or out of the stringers in the bilge area through small
pin-holes where the stringer is tabbed to the hull. The solution was to
drill a 1/4" hole through the top of the stringers and down through the
foam, and manage to avoid drilling through the hull. Do this to the 2
stringers on either side of the sump that contains the float switch. Then
use an OilBoy pump to remove the water. Now I pump them out every spring
after I finish commissioning the boat and the bilge stays bone dry.

JeffC