[C320-list] anchors

Dave Sparks dlsparks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:03:22 PDT 2006

  In April there was a discussion about anchors on the list. I gave an
endorsement for the Delta 35 based on my experience with it during Hurricane
Ivan. At that time, I did not have that much experience using it in
non-hurricane conditions. Now, I have more data. At this point in 2006 I
have spent 28 nights at anchor in locations along the northern Gulf coast
(Mobile Bay to Apalachicola Bay). The Delta 35 has set the first time each
time I anchored and (knock on wood) remained set in wind conditions ranging
from calm to 35 knots. I have 15 ft of 5/16 chain attached. Bottom
conditions were almost always "good" mud or sand. To be honest, I should add
that I have avoided two anchorages that I know have soft mud, locations
where I have had other anchors (Danforth, Fortress) drag.    To summarize, I
am very pleased with the D35 as an everyday anchor.

   David Sparks
   En Passant - #933