[C320-list] FW: Re: Transmission/Teleflex cable update--

Russell Monaco russgm at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 16:50:47 PDT 2006

ok one last thing, here are the actual item markings:

Engine cable, made by Morse 14 feet long:
D 301947-003-168.0

Transmission cable, Morse 12 feet long:
032377-003-0144.0

I think all you really need to know is the length and order a Teleflex of that length.
Russell Monaco <russgm at yahoo.com> wrote: Karl-
I didn't get the part from West, I think Teleflex/Morse cables are a fairly common item, the important thing is each end has a 10/32 thread( I don't think this is an issue, I was lead to beleive all these cables have this spec.) and the cables are the proper length, as I said Engine needs 14 feet, and tranny needs 12 feet.

Each cable has Morse part number printed on them, I wrote these down but they are on the boat, when I get them home I will add them to this thread.

As to why it was so hard, the two cables are held in place by a bracket about 1 foot down the pedestal, the chain and sprocket/wheel for the helm is above it, you need to get the bracket to the top, but the sprocket is in the way, so after spending a bout 1-2 hours fiddliung with this, we eventually decided to disconnect the sterring system, from below, this allowed us to pop the steering chain off the sproket and push it out of the way, then we lefted the cables/bracked to the top, and did the replacement...BUT...
then we had a new problem of getting the chain/steering system back together, the only way we came up with to loosen the system was by removing one of the "pulleys" (sheave) down below the pedestal, above the aft berth, this freed up the chain enough to move it off the sprocket, but replacing the pulley was now our new insurmountable problem...fortunately for me Tom Senator (C36 MkII Tech editor) was taking care of this problem down below while I was putting the pedestal togther above, so I am not even certain how he got it back, all I know is, I couldn't get it and he did!

Anyway to answer your question about the caulking at the base of the pedestal, there is no sealant at the base of the actual pedestal, it is actually a very open area that things move freely up and down, like the steering cable. Where you are talking about is the caulking at the base of the 3 stainless steel tubes that run down from the pedestal, those are a nightmare too (as I recall).

Also, I had no issue with the legendary screws that keep the compass in place. They came in and out (twice due to an error) without any problem.

I haven't had time to do anything with the brochure yet.
Russ Monaco

"Karl Mielenhausen  _/) "  wrote:  Russ,

If you have part numbers, WM SKU's, and/or prices, I'd like to include in my archives.
Also, any installation tips would be appreciated!!
Was part of the problem the caulking around the cables as they enter the pedestal? I had a bear of a time when I pulled extra wires through the pedestal.

PS. Did you every do anything with that Fleet Development brochure I made? I'm starting to use them around here (we have a All Catalina Rendezvous June 16-18 in Washington, NC). Any improvements to the brochure (especially a case for C320IA membership) would be helpful. I've attached a recent version.

Thanks...

Karl Mielenhausen
2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"
New Bern, NC