[C320-list] Single Line Reefing

Wed Jun 7 08:39:13 PDT 2006

I thought all of these boats came with single line reefing?! Mine did and it's a 1994 model...

Are there different reefing systems on other boats?
--------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: C320-List-bounces
Sent: 06/07/2006 08:17 AM
To: "C320-List" <C320-List at catalina320.org>
Subject: [C320-list] Single Line Reefing

Guys,

There was a thread a year or so back about single line reefing.  I just sent
the following to my boat partner.

Is there any album that shows what people used for the luff pulley described
below and has anyone actually done this?.

I don't remember it right now, but there is supposed to be a way to make
reefing a single line control by addig a pulley to the main luff reefing
cringle. Then reeving the port side reefing line from the cockpit stopper to
the deck mast pulley(where it now is), up through the new luff reefing
pulley, down to a new mast base pulley, into the boom then to the leech
cringle as we now have it, then to tie off at the boom.  The key being a
pulley on a strap of some kind on the luff reefing cringle. The main
objection to this as I remember it, was all of the resistance that is
encountered by the lines going through all of the pulleys. This would
eliminate the need to go on deck in possible bad weather to reef the main.

Irv Grunes

Isle of Wight #851