[C320-list] FW: Re: Single Line Reefing

Thu Jun 8 19:50:38 PDT 2006

I can't wait for my in-boom furler!

cuba libre 2
--------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: C320-List-bounces
Sent: 06/08/2006 04:42 PM
To: C320-List <C320-List at catalina320.org>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] FW: Re:  Single Line Reefing

Dave:  Yours is just like my '99 boat except that line 1 does not end at
the upper cringle.  Instead it goes through this cringle (port to
starboard) and then back down to be tied off at a padeye on the
starboard side of the mast, just below the gooseneck.  This additional
part doubles the purchase on the luff, while adding a small amount of
friction.  The padeye also keeps the luff cringle close to the mast once
you pull it down, which relieves stress on the sail slides near the
reefing cringle.

The advantage of this system over other single line systems that only
use one piece of line is that you don't have to pull as much line
through the forward cringle when you reef.  So it has less friction than
other single line systems that really use only one piece of line.  This
means it doesn't require the blocks on the sail that everyone else is
talking about.  It would work even better if the double block inside the
boom were higher quality.  But it works well for me and so I haven't
bothered to change it.

Another advantage of this system is that you don't have as much
unrigging to do if you want to remove the mainsail.  Just untie the
forward and aft lines separately and remove from the cringles.

The system is NOT the same as what is pictured in the manual for my '99
boat, which is a bizarre system that does not have the reduced friction
advantages I described above.

OK, now someone will say that they think the block inside the boom is to
add purchase.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  It doesn't.  But it does reduce the
overall friction in the system, IF it's rigged as described above.  It's
almost useless if you rig it the way the manual suggests.

Dave Anderer wrote:
> Ok, now I'm more confused than usual.  My rig - which I assumed to be
> original - is significantly different than what is described in this
> article.
>
> I've got one set of reef points, and a single-line system, but with 2
> lines.
>
> Line one goes from the port clutches up to the gooseneck, in the boom,
> around a double-pulley in the boom, back out the gooseneck, down to a
> block mounted on the mast (where the vang is mounted to the mast), then
> up through a cringle on the luff, and through a 2nd (higher) cringle on
> the luff where it is knotted.
>
> Line 2 is secured at the outboard end of the boom, run inside the boom
> to the double-pulley, and back out the end of the boom to a cringle on
> the leech where it is knotted.
>
> Was that the factory-rigging on a '99?  Seems awfully convoluted.  The
> modified 380 scheme seems significantly better.
>
> [Ah ha!  Here is the rig I have:
> http://www.catalina320.org/gallery/Alternative-Route/IMG_0226  Was that
> how it came from the factory - I'm guessing not based on the comments
> with this image.]
>

> Karl Mielenhausen _/) wrote:
>> Better yet, this article (and many other fine technical articles) are
>> on the C380IA website....
>>
>> http://www.catalina380.org/article_display.asp?ID=114
>>

>> A nicely organized resource for us also!!!!
>>

>> Karl Mielenhausen
>>
>> 2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"
>>
>> New Bern, NC
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/mielen/
>>

>> From: Walter burnett [mailto: selkie2003 at yahoo.com]
>>
>> To: C320-List at catalina320.org
>>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Single Line Reefing
>>

>> Irv,<br>   <br>  The pulley idea originally came from a Mainsheet
>> article in the C380 tech section a year or two ago. If you have the
>> back issues, you should be able to find it.  You rig the 320 reefing
>> Stan,<br>Thanks for the reply. Again yours is an elegant solution and
>> the fact that<br>everything is run through pulleys elimintes a lot of
>> the friction.<br><br>If one would do the same to the leech luff,
>> theneverything would be throgh<br>pulleys. Thats just a
>> thought.<br><br>Did you do anything to the mainsail to protect it from
>> any chafe by the<br>block working against it?<br>When the sail is down
>> and furled, that block must just sit there and not<br>bother the sail
>> cover.<br>As you can see I am trying to visualise any and all
>> problems.<br>I realised that it will be necessary to change the
>> reeving on the mast base<br>blocks so that the existing block will be
>> the last block before the line<br>goes into the boom.<br>Irv
>> Message-----<br>From:
>> C320-List-bounces at catalina320.org<br>[mailto:C320-List-bounces at catalina320..org]On
>> Behalf Of Stanley<br>Rogacevicz<br>Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:10
>> PM<br>To: C320-List at catalina320.org<br>Subject: Re: [C320-list] Single
> [...]

sender and delete the material from any computer (IM).