[C320-list] FW: Docking

Walter burnett selkie2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 07:54:41 PDT 2006

Greg,

  We all have those "adventures in docking days", so don't feel bad.

  You don't say if you were in a cross wind, but I'll assume you were. I'll offer a couple of my observations on the 320.

  1. In a cross wind the 320 bow will drift a little faster than the stern, so you have to steer the stern downwind to keep things straight and allow for the faster rate of drift.

  2. The 320 will back straight and true once you overcome the prop walk (to port in reverse).

  3.We have a big rudder, so steer gently. It's easy to overcorrect.

  4.Maintain steerage way. You have to have water moving over the rudder (about 1 to 1.5 Kts) to steer.  Use boat speed not speed over ground. The key is not too fast and not too slow.

  I hope this helps.

  Walter
  Selkie #887

Greg Battersby <gjbattersby at probatter.com> wrote:
  I recently stepped up to a 320 from a C-30 which I had had for a number of
years. I’ve been sailing a variety of different sailboats for more than 25
years.

The configuration with a swim platform on the back seemed conducive to
backing into my slip rather than going in head first as I had done over the
years with the C-30 and other boats. I share a slip with a 28’ powerboat and
when I back in, the finger pier is on my port side and he is on my starboard
side. There are no pilings. It’s pretty tight and there isn’t a tremendous
amount of room between me and my neighbor.

The first couple of times I came in I was able to back the boat in with
minimal problems. I approached from the starboard side, slowed down,
swung to starboard as I was passing my neighbor; came to a dead stop, kicked
it into reverse, and backed in with a little help from the dock wheel and
prop wash that took me to starboard--against the dock. Today there was a
little more wind than before and it was a disaster. After about 5 tries and
thoroughly embarrassing myself (Happy Father’s Day!), we finally made it in.
Fortunately, my neighbor was out or else the disaster would have been a
catastrophe.

Anyone have any sage advice on docking, particularly the backing in type?
I’m struggling enough with a couple of able body hands on board--the thought
of trying to single-handedly dock this boat is now intimidating.

Greg Battersby

C-320 #210

Windeage

Westport, CT