[C320-list] Single line Dutchman?

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Tue Jun 20 07:27:11 PDT 2006

  Rope instead of foam is what North uses. Foam or rope has seemed to
help a bit when reefing down 15-20% for me - shrinking it more than that
seems to get a bit wrinkly and mis-shapen with either flavor of luff pad
- with the UK's and foam on my c320 135 or now with rope and a North
125.
Stan

>>> sthompson at toad.net 6/20/2006 9:56 am >>>
I'd be interested in hearing what size and type of genoa you purchased

and what kind of sail shape you get from it when sailing reefed.  An
inability to depower and control jib shape of the 150% OEM sail when
the
true wind hits 15 knots or above is my biggest frustration when sailing

Surprise, and so I'm interested in learning what works for others.  I
was impressed with the construction quality of Mack sails when I
visited
their booth at the Annapolis sailboat show a few years ago.  My
recollection is that they were using a series of ropes sewed parallel
the luff in lieu of a foam pad in order to help get better sail shape
when reefed.  This seemed like a better long run solution, if it works

at all.

Scott

drshoffner at aol.com wrote:

> I recently replaced my OEM sails on #171 with a new set of sails from
Mack Sails in Ft. Lauderdale.  Rather with going with another Dutchman
flaking system I elected to go with their Mack Pack for almost the same
price.  I would highly recommend this for anyone who needs a new main
cover since this is s combination mainsail cover and lazy jack system
which makes putting the main to bed an absolute dream!  For details see
their website www.macksails.com.

> In a mater of a couple of minutes you can drop your main into it's
cover (aka Mack Pack), tighten the lazy jack and zip her up.  No more
fiddling with sail ties, putting on the cover, etc.  Workmanship was
excellent, and Collen Mack was extremely helpful throughout the process.
 Sails arrived as promised and installation was pretty straight forward.
 The only time consuming part was installing 2 small cheek blocks 25' up
the mast for the lazy jacks which took me about 2 hours.  Their
instructions were easy to follow.  I don't miss my Dutchman System a
bit.

> I've read with interest over the years the benefit of a new set of
sail but was amazed at the difference!  I point higher and perform
better at all points of sail.

> Mike

(I've
>> sailed with the single on a C380 and it seemed easier).
>>

>> -JeffH

> Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.