[C320-list] Alternative to Target Coatings?

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Mon Jun 26 08:40:09 PDT 2006

The target coatings are the only way to go.  It is water based, don't mix
with other coatings.  Even if they are a bit more than other coatings.

>From my archives:
Happy New Year Fred and ALL,

When you use the Target finish I think you will conclude that it is made for
spray application.  That means; it's thin, it does not "hang" very well
(runs), goes on with a brush but leaves bubbles.

My suggestion is to buy a pad painter and vacuum out all the little bristles
that are left over from manufacture.  Stir the product DO NOT shake.  Work
where there is little or no draft.  Spread it on thin, use many coats.  Wipe
the entire surface to get it evenly coated... there will be bubbles, wait
1-3 min. as you lightly lay out the finish with your pad, evening out the
stroke lines and waiting for the slightest amount of drag from the pad.
This is when you can expect that the foam bubbles will disappear.  Do not
continue brushing ANY more than you have to or you will begin wiping in
streaks that you'll have to sand out.   There is little or no smell... you
can work in the house.  I found the matte floor finish quite glossy, for a
matte but it looks great.  If it's humid it takes two hours before
re-coating, less in dry conditions.  You'll love the results because your
sanding and preparation will be better than a factory could be expected to
do.  Good Luck

Rick, Echo #488

> From: "Fred Jackson" <jacksonfa at earthlink.net>
> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 08:47:54 -0500
> To: <c320-list at sailnet.net>
> Subject: [c320-list] Interior Varnish Source
>
> Happy New Year All!
>
> One of many things I picked up from the 320 net (what a great resource!)
was
> the specific varnish used on our interiors.  (Target Coatings WB2025
Matte)  I
> had fair, at best, results trying to put an oil base varnish over the
factory
> water base- even when well sanded.  However, I did strip my companionway
> steps, and the trim boards on the bulkhead to which the steps mount down
> bare wood and put a durable spar varnish on them-  looks great.  Anyway,
the
> last message I saw on this subject gave 1 800 752 9922 as the contact for
> Target Coatings.  I just ordered a quart of WB2025 Matte from their web
site,
> targetcoatings.com.   ...just thought y'all would want to know that you
can
> order direct online.  By the way, they presently are discounting 10%.  The

> quart was $15 and some change plus shipping.
>
> Fred
> Amante #392

Cheers,

Dick Walker