[C320-list] Securing outboard engine and gasoline

Mon Jun 26 08:59:00 PDT 2006

I bought a small gas vapor monitor, put it next to the 2000 and it has
never even registered an amount...

cuba libre 2

             Scott Thompson
             <sthompson at toad.
             net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                 C320-List
             C320-List-bounce         <C320-List at catalina320.com>
             s at catalina320.or                                          cc
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Securing outboard
             06/26/2006 06:37         engine and gasoline
             AM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <C320-List at catal
               ina320.org>

You don't worry about explosive gasoline vapors keeping it in the
cockpit lockers or cabin?  I've always read that you shouldn't transport
gasoline inside the boat.

Orlando.Duran at AveryDennison.com wrote:
> The 2000 will also fir in the starboard aft locker on the shelf there. I
tried it with no problem, you have to tilt it slightly is all. I was going
to put in some straps that would tighten it down during transit but
alas--sailing, work travel and other priorities conspired to my never
finishing that project.

> I have been keeping it under the salon table till I got to Two Harbors
or Cat Harbor then I would bring it up into the cockpit...in some heavy
weather and swells, never had a problem with it being down below--it never
moved

> cuba libre 2
> --------------------------
> Regards,
> OD

point to point.  It comes out prior to deploying the anchor.  The
alternatives are in the cabin (which I believe is where Orlando stores his
when in transit but I don't like the gas smell down below) or between the
aft seats if I remove the center seat which I haven't tried yet.  And you
are right - it does not actually fit under the center seat.  The seat
needs to be removed and the generator sticks out maybe 4-6 inches towards
the binnacle.

> The mount is a standard, hard plastic, 2-piece mount that mounts on the
"T" of the stern rail.  The 2-piece mount clamps over both the horizontal
and vertical rail.  There are much more expensive ones, such as in teak or
from Edson, but this one does the job.

> I keep the dingy gas tank in the dingy and tie it in.  This afternoon,
it was floating in 6 inches of water!  Needless to say, we did not leave
Georgetown today in the all day, heavy rains.

> Years ago, I kept my first boat on Bodkin Creek for about 2 years.  That
boat had a 4-foot draft.  I used to anchor in Swan Creek on many weekends
and never had any trouble.  I doubt that much has changed.  There are thin
places in the creek but there always was plenty of room far away from the
mooring field.  But I have not been in there for about 15 years so I will
report  back if things have changed. It always was one of my favorite
spots.  Keep in mind what the past week has been like heat and
humidity-wise.  If next week is like last week, we will be in Marina's
versus on the hook.  In fact, we haven't been on the hook yet on this
trip.

> Allan S. Field
> Sea Shadow - #808
> Columbia, MD

> From: Scott Thompson <sthompson at toad.net>
>
>> Allan: Doesn't a 43 pound generator in your anchor locker make
>> anchoring rather difficult? If you put the generator between the aft
>> seats I assume that it doesn't actually fit under the seats. Is that
>> right?
>>
>> Regarding the outboard engine mount, which one did you purchase at WM?
>> Is it the Johnson mount? Where did you attach it to the rail?
>>
>> Where do you store your dinghy gas tank while sailing?
>>
>> Finally, I'd be interested in hearing a report after you visit Swan
>> Creek. That's the closest anchorage to me on the Eastern Shore but I've

>> never been in because the charts make it look shallow and I've heard
>> it's full of moorings.
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> allan.field at comcast.net wrote:
>>> Scott - I'll weigh in on this one from our experience. We have a
Nissan 5 HP,
>> 4-stroke with an external fuel tank. I have had 2-strokes in the past
with
>> internal tanks but would not go back to them as the fuel left in the
tank tends
>> to wax the carb if stored for a time. Plus the 4-stroke is more
environment
>> friendly.
>>> We keep the motor on the aft stern rail on a motor mount we got from
WM. The
>> motor weighs about 80 pounds. We also had Kato Marine in Annapolis make
us a
>> lifting crane with a 4:1 purchase. With the crane, moving the engine
from rail
>> to digny transom literally is a one-handed job. The stern rail is no
worse the
>> wear for holding the motor these past 4 years or so.
>>> Our external tank holds 2.5 gallons of gas. Even after being out for
18 days
>> (as we are now) and all the other times we use the dingy during the
season, we
>> will not empty the tank. We do add Sta-Bil to the tank. After each
trip, we
>> disconnect the hose from the tank to the motor at the tank with the
motor
>> running so as to exhaust all fuel both in the hose and in the engine.
We found
>> that leaving fuel in the hose stunk up the boat and leaving fuel in the
motor
>> for an extended period gummed up the carb. What is really surprising is
that
>> once the hose is disconnected from the tank, it takes a good 15-20
minutes for
>> all the fuel to burn-off. Little wonder we can't use 2.5 gallons of gas
in an
>> entire season.
>>> The final lesson learned is to keep the fuel tank vent slightly
cracked open
>> even when storing the tank. Otherwise, pressure builds up in the tank
and
>> eventually gas starts to blow past the seals. The tank directions also
>> recommend doing this but in our case, Field's Law prevailed - If Field
has a
>> 50/50 chance of doing something right or wrong the first time, 90% of
the time
>> Field will do it wrong the first time...
>>> We also purchased a Honda 2000 generator. It will not start a 12,000
BTU air
>> conditioner. However, it will run the microwave, outlets and charger
fine. We
>> store ours in the anchor well and have the factory cover (extra cost)
in place.
>> However, we do not carry spare gas cans on board. If we did, I imagine
that I
>> would lash them to a side stanchion somehow but again, these motors use
so
>> little fuel that carrying spare just is not necessary.
>>> We did see another Catalina on this trip with the Honda generator.
They