[C320-list] Log Book Question

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Jun 28 05:39:02 PDT 2006

Hi Pat,

We sailed from Provincetown back to Newburyport 3 years ago with 22kts of
wind on a broad reach from the port quarter (full sails).  We loaded up the
dinghy and outboard in the port locker and settled in for a long sail.  We
normally see the 60-62 mile trip taking an even 12 hrs dock to dock.  Did
the trip in right around 9 hours that time.  The boat really flew. Given
that we didn't have the autopilot at that time, and the swells were coming
in from behind, we had to pay attention the whole way, but surfed a lot.

There's some slop in that since we motor up a river a mile, and caught an
incoming tide, so we did 8 kts up parts of the river, but then we had to
wait for a drawbridge, so perhaps it evens out..

..so it's possible.  :)  Even in New England where the wind is on the nose
to your destination, by definition.  (for us anyway)

There's only been a few other occasions where we sailed that fast for
extended periods of time.

-JeffH