[C320-list] adding gxm 30 antenna

Sweetwater Yacht Charters sail at sweetwater-charters.net
Fri Mar 3 16:53:07 PST 2006

Rollie-

No, the 376C is the only one that works with XM. There is a specific antenna
that comes with the unit; it is an XM receiver and there is a special
connector port for it. I don't think the 276C has that port.

The weather info that you get depends on the XM package that you subscribe
to. You can go to www.xmradio.com and check out their products section if
you are interested. Click on the "SHOP XM RADIO" tab and go to the bottom to
look at additional services. They use 2 satellites so they have coverage of
the entire continental US. (Seriously! I zoomed out to show the USA and
there was NEXRAD showing everywhere).  It is really nice - the weather
overlays your map data on the GPS. If you have your map page up, you can
scroll through the weather data to see things like NEXRAD radar, visibility,
surface wind, water temp, weather forecasts, marine warnings, etc all
overlayed on your map.

The other thing that the GMX30 antenna does is offer XM radio through the
GPS if you subscribe to it. Since I already had a subscription for my car
radio, they put me on the "family plan" so my radio coverage is only $6.99
per month. You can listen through the GPS using headphones or external
speakers (there is a jack on the 376C for this).

So far I am very impressed with this unit. Like I wrote earlier, Garmin has
larger units with this feature, but they are MUCH more expensive. If you are
interested, make sure you shop around - West Marine lists them at $1000 but
I have seen them on the internet for @$800  I got mine from Boater's World
during our recent Boat Show - they were running a special for $800

-Joan
 C320 #90 Persistence