[C320-list] 3YM-30 Transmission Oil

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 07:49:28 PST 2006

I had the same problem when I first got my 320.  My Yanmar owner's manual is
a little awkward in informing which oil to use in the transmission.  I have
hull 894 with the 3GM30F Yanmar with the KM2P Kanzaki transmission and it
says for the Marine Gear use"SAE Viscosity 30" oil.  I checked a few Yanmar
related websites and confirmed that Yanmar means 30 weight HD engine oil for
the transmisson.  I also have the complete factory manual for my model
engine and in one part it says use 10-30 CC class oil and in another part it
says use the same oils as are used for lubricating the engine.  Bottom line
is that I use HD 30 engine lubricating oil in my transmission.  I assume you
would use the same on the basis that the transmission you have is a Kanzaki
like mine.

The "red" antifreeze for the engine is most likely a Dexcool type product
not the stuff you winterize water lines with.  Dexcool is recommended for
late model Yanmars with fresh water cooling.  I can't imagine Dexcool
causing any overheating problems unless there was operator error in its
installation.  For older model engines it is recommended the old green stuff
be thoroughly flushed out before using the Dexcool product.