[C320-list] C320 and a 60 amp Alternator

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon May 1 07:28:27 PDT 2006

Hi Bruce,

I agree with Robert Perrin.. :)  Go for the wine.. :)

However...

I recommend a 3rd starting batteries and running your main 4Ds in parallel
almost without exception.   Better for the batteries and more usable power.

Whether you need a externally regulated alternator depends on how you
actually use your boat.  If you have regular shore power, and don't spend
extended periods of time under sail and at anchor without running the
engine, then the stock alternator is simpler and just fine.

The internal alternator won't produce 60A long enough in practice to do much
charging, but it's still a better than the 55A found on the 3gm yanmars.
(Probably the same alternator with different thermal management or heavier
regulating diodes, who knows.)

I suggest upgrading the alternator only if you need to be able to fully
charge your batteries using the engine.  You'll only get 3 STEP/STAGE
regulation using an external regulator, or quality shore power charger.
People keeping their boat on moorings should do this in my opinion, or
they'll have seriously reduced life and/or capacity in their main batteries.

My opinions of course...
-JeffH