[C320-list] refinishing steps

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed May 3 07:38:28 PDT 2006

I know this sounds too low-tech, but I used plain old Minwax Satin
Polyurethane. After a season of use there is no trace of wear and the satin
finish is less slippery than the original finish. Like Joe, I too was
surprised after applying the first coat and had to do some more sanding. I
didn't try to get the old varnish out of the non-skid grooves and as a
result they are a nice contrast to the darker color of the flat surfaces, a
bit like the teak and holly sole.

I also used Minwax on all the fiddles around the sink, refer and nav table.
I wish I had done some PM to those a little sooner. Some of them had small
spots where the original varnish had worn through, and the wood had started
to turn gray. Sanding out the gray spots probably would have mushroomed into
a huge job, so I just cleaned the fiddles with some denatured alcohol and
applied the varnish. From now on I'll reapply varnish to those areas every 2
years and avoid any more gray spots.

JeffC