[C320-list] New Head Replacment

Dave dbrabin at optonline.net
Wed May 3 18:21:25 PDT 2006

Okay...I'll can the usage report...since still on the hard, can't report
on a leak, either.

It's a '96 (?) 320, (#445).  Actually went in fairly easily.  My biggest
concern was removing the old head, without dribbling bad stuff around.
I left the old exhaust hose attached at the head, and removed the tank
end.  Using a cutting wheel/Dremel tool got thru the wire reinforced
hose fairly easily, which then made it easy to remove from the tank
fitting.  Stuffed newspaper and plastic into the open hose end, and then
covered the end with plastic and some duct tape.  Also stuffed some
plastic into the open tank inlet..never smelled or saw any bad stuff.
Unbolted the old head, carefully removed it and the attached hose, and
placed it into two, heavy duty garbage bags.  Dragged up, and heaved
over the side, for two points into the garbage pail.  I filled the old
Jabsco mounting holes with white Marine Tex.  First time I used the
stuff, and I'm not in the craftsman category, so there are two small,
noticeable dimples where the old holes are. More effort would make it
look better...I'll need to work on that. So much for the removal.

I spent a good bit of time placing the new head.  Required much test
sitting, measuring, and analysis.  Fortunately, it provided a good place
to sit and read the instructions.  Also note that the exhaust hose
fitting needed to be rotated 90 degrees....easily done on the Raritan.
Then marked the six mounting hole locations and carefully drilled.

Put in place the new exhaust hose, Trident Super Premium (#102) white
sanitation hose, through the bulkhead hole, and then attached  the head
end.  Moved the  head into place, lining up the holes.  The toughest
holes were in the back, with the one under the exhaust fitting the
toughest.  Used 3M 4200 around the bolts/washers, and installed the head.

Note that I removed the hose that came on the head from the flush water
pump outlet to the bowl inlet, and used the vented loop hoses for that
segment.  Also needed a new hose from the raw water strainer to the raw
water inlet on the head pump.  That's a bit different, as the water
inlet for the Jabsco is in the rear (as I remember) of the unit, and on
the Raritan it's on the front.

Finally cut the appropriate length on the tank end of the hose (used a
hacksaw), put a bit of Ivory soap on the fitting, and on to the tank it
went (remembering to remove the plastic stuffing first).  Still have to
do the hose support mounts on the two wooden cross pieces that sort of
hold the tank in position.  And of course, need to test it, end-to-end,
once the boat launches.

dave
"Wind Chill"