[C320-list] Jib Furling Gear

Thu May 4 06:02:33 PDT 2006

He has a 'd' at the end of his name..

cuba libre 2
--------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: C320-List-bounces
Sent: 05/04/2006 05:31 AM
To: C320-List <C320-List at catalina320.org>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Jib Furling Gear

Thanks Ray,  by the way are you related to Orlando?

  John (Sojourn 645)

Ray Durand <durand.mail at verizon.net> wrote:
  I had similar problems a couple of years ago. In my case, the bearings in
the drum got so bad from salt accumulation and there was so much corrosion
in the drum that it needed to be replaced. Schaefer has since redesigned
the lower drum so that it has holes in it that allow you to flush out the
bearings with a hose.

You can have a problem in the lower drum or the upper drum. You're supposed
to periodically flush both with water. The bearings on the top drum are
easily accessible once you lower it. The upper drum is easy to spin with
your hands, so you can easily tell if that's where you have the problem.
The bearings in the lower drum are not so easy to get to. I've been
squirting water up from the bottom after each sail. I've been told that you
can disassemble the lower tube assembly (after you remove the sail of
course) and then you have better access to flush out the bearings. You
don't have to de-tension the forestay to do this.

Bottom line is that you need to try and flush out the bearings with water.
If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the drum. Schaefer has been
having some problems with the original design, particularly in some
geographic areas like Los Angeles. They're not sure, but they think that
there may be an electrical/electrolysis component to the problem - this is
what I was told the last time I spoke with Schaefer at a boat show.

I replaced my drum with an original drum design (at the time, they were
experimenting with the new design). Mine was still under warranty at the
time, but they still charged me (something like $50 - $75) because they said
it was my fault for not cleaning it out regularly. If you need to replace
your drum, get the new one with the holes that allow you to easily flush out
the bearings with a hose.

Ray Durand #822
Marina del Rey, CA