[C320-list] Perkins M30 Oil Change last drops

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 10:58:44 PDT 2006

I bought a WM manual pump type oil changer that works well.  I started by sucking it out of the dip stick tube and wasn't happy with that as I was only getting out 3 quarts.

Then I found a metal pipe that comes out the stbd side of the engine down above the oil pan.  This pipe has a threaded nipple in it.  At our marine store, I bought a hose barb with a pipe thread.  I think it was 1/4".  This screws into the top of the pipe when the nipple is removed.  Now, I get nearly all 4 qts of oil when I pump it out.

You can buy a 12v self-priming pump suitable for oil and permanently mount it in the engine compartment with a hose permanently attached to the drain pipe.  Then changing is a snap.

I've also seen such a pump set up so that it can be used to drain the pan, then pump new oil into the valve cover.  Makes the process a snap.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay