[C320-list] Fore Stay Furling Gear

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 11:32:23 PDT 2006

On our 1994, we have the Hood furling system.  It is easy to change the line feed to stbd.  Under the drum, there are 3 nylon screws.  When you remove these, the drum cover can be rotated to stbd.  There are several sets of threaded holes under the drum so it can be screwed in-place in different positions.  (Boy, it's scary working under the drum whist in the water.)

While on the subject, I, too, had trouble feeding the line smartly into the drum.  I don't know how the PO put up with it for 10 yrs.  The solution was two fold.  1) I moved the fwd fairlead to the first verticle part on the bow sprit just inches from the entrance to the drum.  It was the only way I could get the 90 deg angle needed to feed the line properly; 2) the line (which is cored for about 1/3 of it's length,) had a twist that got into the drum reducing the amount of line that would fit on the drum.  This winter, I washed the line and would it on a drum made of two large diameter coffee cans.  I left it wound all winter.  Now, the cored part lays flat on the drum and feeds in smartly winding up and down the drum as it should as long as I keep a little tension on the line while winding.

I don't know why mfgrs design these furling drums to exactly hold the correct amount of NEW line in perfect condition.  I think some of the large or open drums make more sense.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay