[C320-list] Backstay Adjuster blocks

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Mon May 15 07:46:59 PDT 2006

Guys,
When I asked northernbayrigging.com (410-626-8855) out of Annapolis to help
tune the rigging and install the backstay adjuster ala the Mark Yaeger
article. He suggested a much more elegant adjuster although much more
expensive( About $800.00 I think, can't find the bill).

It involved removing the two back stays and the triangle that connects them.

Replaced the triangle with a pulley (EXPENSIVE BECAUSE OF THE STRESS IT HAS
TO TAKE.)

Then ran a new cable from the portside back stay turnbuckle (He had to
swedge an end for the turnbuckle) up thru the back stay pulley and
terminated it with another pulley.

>From the starboard side backstay turnbuckle, he ran a cable with a new
swedged turnbuckle end thru that pulley and on to a swedged thimble.

He then added a 6:1 boom vang (1/4 inch staset line) kind of system from a
shackle that replaced the turnbuckle clevis pin to the swedged terminal.  He
put a rubber ball of some kind just before the swedge to prevent the swedge
from entering that end pulley should the vang let go.

The end pulley reaches down just below the bimini and so the 6:1 purchase
attaches below the bimini.  There is a knot in the 1/4 in line of the 6:1
that keeps the setting of the backstay adjuster to that required for light
air sailing.

This construction requires NO alteration of the bimini to make up for the
back stays being squeezed together, because as far as the bimini is
concerned the back stays are the same.

The look is a cable from portside turnbuckle up through the triangle
replaced pulley, and down to a pulley that is then picked up by a cable from
the port turnbuckle down to the 6:1 vang.

BECAUSE THE STBD SIDE PULLEY IS MOVEABLE, WE THEN HAVE A 12:1 PURCHASE ON
THE BACK STAY.

When sailing last week, the wind came up to about 15 knots. When we pulled
on the backstay, the boat pointed up about 5 degrees.

When fully hanked on the starboard side pulley only moves 3 to 4 inches, if
that much.
The 12:1 purchase makes setting the adjuster not difficult.

More expensive than squeezing backstays together. But the rear view of the
boat looks essentially the same without that set of pulleys on the backstay.

Contact Northern Bay Rigging at website or at 410-626-8855 and ask him for
what he did for the Isle of Wight on Sue Creek.  He may be able to make up a
kit of parts for a DIY installation if you are not on Chesapeake Bay.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight
#851 Sue Creek, MD