[C320-list] upwind mainsail trim

Steve Magennis magenns at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 06:24:43 PDT 2006

Typically, I put the boom on centerline unless the wind is very strong
and I really need to de-power the main.  Only then will I ask for the
traveler to be dropped to put the boom below center.

I've found with the C-320 (unlike the C-30), we are better off reducing
the headsail first before reefing the main.  With the C-30, the main
gets reefed before the genoa is reduced (The top two boats in the 2000
C-30 Nationals ran the entire regatta in 20 - 25 knots of wind with a
full 155% genoa and a single reef in the main (the second place boat on
two starts had a double reef in the main, and that accounted for the
difference), while a C-320 on the same course with a 5 min head start
start raced with a full main and a storm jib.  As expected, the C-320
beat the C-30s, but he was so far in front that he was difficult to
see. Darn you Tomfoolery)

When the wind is very strong, I have my main trimmer bring the traveler
up and drop the boom to center to induce twist at the top of the sail
and spill a little air.  I also bring the Genoa cars back to do the
same thing with the genoa.  I also honk on the backstay adjuster to
remove sag from the headstay and flatten the genoa a bit.  Seems to
work, I do fairly well.

Steve
Alchemist C-30T #4764
Alchemist C-320 #909