[C320-list] upwind mainsail trim

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 09:59:52 PDT 2006

As an additional thought, I have found that the 320 is
very responsive at 18-20 knots of wind to flattening
the main by cranking on the outhaul and down on the
cunningham. These adjustments are quick, easy and
rarely require further spilling of the main by reefing
or dumping the sheet. And then only if it is gusty and
you are getting puffs in the mid twenties.

I only have a 135 so it does not require furling until
above 22.

This technique lets me sail flat, fast and close on
the wind below 20. The AP set to the wind is pretty
slick in these conditions as well.

With the 135, I have found it better to reef the main
above 20 than furl. I am looking for a good blade for
those 25-35 days and likely will put in a second reef
on the main.
cb

Chris Burti
"Commitment"