[C320-list] Companionway Hatch Boards/screens/doors

Ronniew326 at aol.com Ronniew326 at aol.com
Sun May 21 05:32:45 PDT 2006

I had Glebe Creek make screens with smoked plastic inserts for me about 4
years ago and I love them.  I only had them made for the top two boards due  to
(1) the price (as I recall the cost was around $300 for the  two) and (2) my
perceived worry about having a potentially  leak-prone board down low where a
pooped cockpit could let in a lot of  water.  Since at that time my boat was in
Annapolis he insisted on coming  down to the boat to measure.  The final
product was beautifully made and  fit perfectly.  I put three coats of Cetol on
them and with only  limited use over the past 4 years they still look like new.

I haven't really needed to use the screens at anchor yet as I guess  I've
been lucky with not having been inundated with bugs.  But I use them  all the
time with the inserts in at the slip in the summer when the AC is  on.  They let
in a lot of light and the smoked inserts work pretty well in  keeping out at
least some of the heat.

Having said that there are two issues you need to be aware of.  First,  is
that they are of a much less robust teak than the stock boards so forget  about
being able to install a hasp on the top board to lock down the  companionway.
When I leave the boat to go somewhere I put the stock  boards in place top
and bottom and the screen board in the middle without the  insert.  That allows
some air flow and offers some assurance of  security.  Second, those inserts
are prone to expansion when in hot direct  sunlight so they will buckle some at
the edges.and not seal as well.  Once  the sun goes down they shrink back to
their original size.

All in all I have been very happy with them and would buy them  again.