[C320-list] Solar Power

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 30 06:10:49 PDT 2006

Hi Guys,

   Finding good flexible solar panels right now is a chore.

First, for the bad news...   Flexible solar panels are very hard to find,
and many are not in production at all this year.  Factories re-tooled to
produce volume high end non-flexible panels.  The ones you do find are
probably way overpriced.   Rigid solar panels are harder to store and easier
to break.

I paid somewhere around $95 + shipping for a UniSolar (USF/FLX11W) for mine
3 years ago.  Price has probably doubled since then.

The panel I recommend is either the UniSolar USF11 (11Watt) or USF32
(32Watt) flexible panel.  It lays smoothly over your Dodger, deck or bimini
top and provides a great boost.  When you don't need it, it'll slide right
under the dinette settee, or the port side settee cushion.  Has large
grommets in the corners to let you attach it in all sorts of ways.

They are very well built, can be walked/danced on and don't need any special
wiring to use.  With the 32W version, you may want a small charge controller
to prevent overcharging if you leave it plugged in for weeks on end. The 11W
version doesn't need a controller.

-Jeff