[C320-list] Head valves-- OK leave open?

John Van Vessem jvanvessem at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 31 20:15:00 PDT 2006

Hi Richard,

  It is not the location of the thru hull fitting that matters it is the level of the other end of the pipe, in this case the toilet bowl.  If the toilet bowl is above the water line there is no phisical way that water can over flow, valve or no valve.  However, I have read a story where a boat owner had a party on board, if I remember corectly he had 25 or 30 people on board which drastically lowered the water line and unbeknownst the owner, water was flowing into the boat from the toilet bowl.  The water was coming in pretty fast so the bildge pump could not keep up.  The extra weight of the water coming in added to the raising of the water line (or the sinking of the boat.)  Fortunately the owner discovered the problem before a disaster.

  I firmly believe that all thru hull fittings should be shut when not in use, but in actuallity, for me, it is just to impractical.  I believe the risk water comming in from the galley sink, or the engine muffler, or the toilet bowl is low enough that i don't have to worry about it.  I should also say, that I sail every week all year round, I do not leave my boat for extended periods, which I'm sure has a lot to do with my confidence.  If I were to leave my boat for 4 or 5 weeks, I might also shut those valves.  By the way I do exercise the valves 3 or 4 times a year.

  John (Sojourn 645)

"Richard A. Walker" <dickwalker at att.net> wrote:
  John that is
s bad advice. The thru-hull fitting is below the water line. The C-320
manual and a placard on the boat has a warning to close the head thru-hull
except when using it. The reason is that there is a small plastic flapper
valve that has been know to break and that is all that is keeping you boat
from sinking.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II