[C320-list] Diesel Spill/Odor

Lamar Desmond ldesmond at comcast.net
Sat Nov 18 21:55:13 PST 2006

After my marina winterized (including changing fuel filters and topping off
my tank) and hauled my boat I found diesel in the bilge.  The marina cleaned
the bilge and around the engine but I really can't really figure out where
the fuel came from.  I found a little water when I put my finger in the hole
where the aft water tank line runs but no sign of fuel. I can't see anything
around the fuel tank so I'm hoping it was from the filter change.  The
filter is just above a conduit that the water line runs into on its way to
the galley.  I can't really see where this conduit ends, even with the
galley drawers removed.

I still have a strong diesel smell and found more fuel when I put my finger
in the aft limber hole of the bilge leading toward the engine.  It looks
like if I pull up the floor I can get a little further aft but the area
under the floor at the base of the steps looks impossible to get to?

Anyone been through this kind of cleanup; is it worth pulling up the floor
does it give any further access. Any good products to cut the smell, I saw
reference to Capt. Chomp in the archive.

Thanks for any advise,
Lamar Desmond
C-320 #358