[C320-list] starting effort

Martin Raphael mraphael at zhonka.net
Wed Nov 29 18:15:41 PST 2006

Recent discussions about starting problems have me wondering...what is the
typical experience in how long it takes to start our engines.  I have a 1994
Perkins M30 with about 1700 hrs.  After warming the plugs for 15 seconds or
so, it takes a good 5 to maybe10 seconds of turning before the engine fires
up, and I wonder if this is typical.  My understanding is that longer
turning times are bad as this heats up the starter and degrades its
performance.  Do other engines fire right up, or is my experience the norm?
Thanks,
Martin Raphael
Rhapsody #108