[C320-list] Prop Info

Tue Nov 7 10:04:38 PST 2006

More importantly, what are your sailing speeds relative to wind speed now?

             Bob & Bel
             Harrison
             <b_harrison at shaw                                          To
             .ca>                     'C320-List'
             Sent by:                 <c320-list at catalina320.com>
             c320-list-bounce                                          cc
             s at catalina320.or
             g                                                    Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Prop Info

             11/07/2006 09:51
             AM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <c320-list at catal
               ina320.org>

Earlier this year we installed a 15" Three Blade Classic Max-prop to
replace
a 15x9 3-blade fixed prop.
Engine is a Yanmar 3YM30, standard transmission.
The prop was set to the manufacturer-recommended 10.3 (20 degrees) pitch,
and here are some before & after boat speed measurements...

RPM   Fixed   Max-prop
2300    4.4    4.6
2600    4.85   5.13
2900    5.35   5.65
3200    5.8    5.95
3500    6.0    6.28

It seems to me that since the engine has no difficulty reaching high RPMs,
the prop could be pitched a little higher, say 11.4 (22 degrees).  I'm
considering changing it at next spring's haul-out, but on the other hand,
why mess with something that's quite satisfactory?

Bob Harrison
Maverick #1007