[C320-list] Prop Info

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:57:51 PST 2006

Adam,
   That 'drag race' or even just driving a 3 blade would show you the
difference I think. This may fall into the 'you don't miss what you
never had' category. The way I went back an forth between props showed
me the difference - I bought my c320 in the fall with a fixed 3 blade
and after only a couple months of sailing it was on the hard for 6 mind
and body numbing months of winter during which I switched to a 2 blade
Martec folder. In the Spring the power seemed fine since everything is
new and different each spring for us. I felt vibration that bothered me
(which was minor and just my paranoia - later confirmed by driving
someone else's), did a short haul, and put the 3 blade back on. I pulled
out of the marina hit the throttle and   Whoa... baby what a difference
!!. It's that low speed torque you get from the extra square inches of
surface that you notice when in drag racing terms you are 'climbing out
of the hole'. Once you get that 12,000 lbs moving at a few knots it's
all the same but it comes into play again when wind and waves are
pushing you back.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> "Adam Weiner" <esquirecatering at rcn.com> 11/9/2006 12:27 AM >>>
OK, know you guys have my curiosity up.

Anyone in SF Bay Area with a 3 bladed fixed prop who would like to
take
me out for a spin?  I won't to see what (my two bladed) is slipping on
and not biting.  What about someone with a folding prop?

What about a little match racing (although that would be hard to
compare
because of different sails, etc.)  Perhaps an acceleration race and a
drag race at 2000 RPM's.

Adam