[C320-list] Holding Tank Hose Job

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Sat Nov 11 02:59:33 PST 2006

When I bought the boat last fall it had a 'distinctive' odor, so one
task last winter was pulling the entire black-water system and replacing
the hoses.  Let's see what I can remember:

- The discharge of the holding tank is slightly above the bottom of the
tank.  So even when you've sucked the tank empty there is probably still
some stuff in it.

- Easiest way to get rid of the current hoses was to cut them in
sections and remove them in pieces.  They're wire-reinforced.  Working
in tight spaces I found it easiest to cut them with a knife, and then
use a cutoff wheel in a Dremel for the wire.

- There is adequate room to remove/replace the tank.

- The most difficult section of hose to replace was to the pumpout
fitting.  To do that I had to remove the medicine cabinet, the fiddle
around the shelf, the light, the trim under the light, etc.  There is a
nasty little s-turn the hose needs to make right at the pumpout
fitting.  My solution to connect the new hose was to remove the fitting
from the deck, push the new hose up through the deck, secure the
fitting, and then push the whole assemble back down and rebed.

- I used AVS96 as the replacement hose.  Don't believe it is available
in this country any more.  It was a bit stiffer than the original and I
couldn't readily make it bend in the run from the head to the tank.  I
wound up placing a 90-degree elbow in this run.  Didn't want to do that,
but figured that since there was already a 90-degree turn to go from the
host to the tank, an additional one wouldn't hurt.  So far no problems
at all with this choice.

(Best hose now according to Peggie Hall is Trident 101/102.)

- A little judiciously applied heat from a heat gun made getting the
hose on fittings easy as pie.

- After pulling the whole system I *still* had a little smell.
Scrubbing the holding tank area didn't seem to help.  Gave it a washdown
with some cheap enzyme-based urine remover from the local pet store.
(Another Peggie Hall suggestion.)  Worked like a charm - no more odor.

All this was well worth the effort.  Nice to have a boat that just
smells like a boat.