[C320-list] Line management

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Mon Nov 13 10:33:27 PST 2006

Actually wearing ship IS gybing.  On old square riggers gybing was the
safe way to turn, and tacking was dangerous.  With fore-aft rigs the
reverse is true.  The square riggers didn't have to worry so much about
booms flying over the deck in a gybe, but they did have to worry about
backwinding the square sails and not making it through a tack.