[C320-list] Cracking in sump area and the Wing Keel debate

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Thu Nov 23 10:11:34 PST 2006

Boomerang has the winged keel, and it points reasonably well. When we race I
don't find we are out classed by other Catalina's to windward. But the
J-Boats outpoint everybody. After we installed the Kiwi folding prop last
spring it seems to point a little higher than when we had the 3 blade fixed
prop. I would recommend a folding or feathering prop of some type.

I hit a rock in a narrow channel a couple of years ago and thought I would
have significant damage since the boat stopped instantly from 4 kts. But
there was not much more than a shallow gouge under the port wing where it
made contact. No damage to keel bolts either. It was simple to repair at the
next haul-out.

Kirk McCullough
Boomerang #124