[C320-list] Portlight leaks

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Thu Nov 23 10:17:44 PST 2006

Joe - About 3 times per year, I open the port lights and clean them very
thoroughly with Armour All.  The theory is that the Armour All makes the
gasket expand plus, of course, cleans any gunk off.  Prior to doing this, I
had occasional leaks around the gaskets.  In the past 4 years, never a leak.
The fixed ports on Sea Shadow have never leaked and the boat is now about 6
years old.

I not only attended the Annapolis Boat Show on the Friday of the
northeaster, I also moved my boat under power at 7 AM from Herrington
Harbour South to Shipwright, a distance of about 4-5 miles with 40+ knots of
wind and 6-foot seas on the starboard beam, a lee shore to port, and hard,
cold and stinging rain in the face.  While the boat did not leak a drop, my
12-year old West Marine foul weather gear leaked like a sieve.  Guess what
my first purchase at the Boat Show was?  You are wrong if you guessed Armour
All!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD