[C320-list] Cracking in sump area and the Wing Keel debate (again)

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Thu Nov 23 18:10:08 PST 2006

True or apparent?  I routinely get to 30 degrees apparent with the wing
keel.  But wind angle is only part of the equation in making this
comparison.  I imagine the fin keel develops more lift and thus has less
leeway.  It probably has a slightly higher righting moment, which also
would improve VMG by letting you carry somewhat more sail without
excessive heeling.  There's no question that the fin keel will perform
better upwind... until you hit water that's less than six feet deep.
That's a lot of the sailing ground around the Chesapeake.