[C320-list] "Broach" - Mainsheet

K L sfca33 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 16:20:19 PST 2006

Adam:

I read your article with interest. I was wondering if you tried the
following maneuver before you called Vessel Assist:

1. Have a crew member hold the line which is caught in the prop.
2. Either open the compression switches on the engine or pull the
stop-engine switch and leave it in the “off” position. The point here is to
keep the engine from starting.
3. Switch the transmission into reverse.
4. Instruct the crew member holding the line to pull while simultaneously
pressing the starter button. The prop will rotate in the opposite direction
and sometimes the line will unravel and come off the prop.

I would add one item to your Lessons Learned list: If a crew member says a
line is in the water, never put the engine in gear till the line is secured
on board. If the engine is in gear, immediately switch the transmission to
neutral.

One of the advantages of sailing during the day is that these unexpected and
unpredictable puffs of wind can be seen more easily (and at a greater
distance) on the surface of the water. Plus, in the bay area, it's a lot
warmer during the day.

Ken Danko
#802, Grace
San Francisco