[C320-list] Diesel heater

Wes.Giles at averydennison.com Wes.Giles at averydennison.com
Tue Nov 28 09:41:46 PST 2006

When I moved up to our 387 I had a Webasto installed. I also looked at
Espar, but chose Webasto because it was equal quality for a bit less
money. There are two types. One is forced air, and the other is hydronic.
The forced air is exactly as it sounds, while the hydronic uses the water
to heat the cabin air. It's more like a radiator works. This is a bit more
expensive but can also heat your hot water tank without running the motor.

Have fun, it's worth it.

Wes
C387 #53

"Darrell" <dgray at n-sea.org>
Sent by: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com
11/28/2006 09:02 AM
Please respond to
Darrell <dgray at n-sea.org>; Please respond to
C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.com>

"C320-List" <c320-list at catalina320.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [C320-list] Diesel heater

I had a Webasto diesel heater installed in my 94 C320 here in Bellingham
WA
about 3 years ago and it has definitely expanded out crusing season. We
have
3 vents, aft state room, galley and salon. One in the head would be nice
but
difficult to plumb and you have a problem with water when using the
shower.
So I mounted a small latch which keeps the head door partially ajar and
that
helps.The heating unit is mounted in the center of the aft locker beside
the
fuel tank and behing the quadrant. Vent hoses run down the port side of
the
boat. Exhaust is on the port stern. I believe the cost was about $3,000
installed, but I can check if you want an exact #. I remember the Espar
unit
was a little more $ but after asking around the Webasto unit seemed just
as
well regarded. There was a cheaper unit , I cannot remember the name but
believe it started with an  S. It was not as well regarded  as the Expar
and
Webasto. The unit has worked great. Turn on, adjust the thermostat and 10
minutes later everything is warm and toasty. I don't know the current draw

but we haven't had a problem running it a few days of an on while at
anchor.
Hope that helps,

Darrell Gray