[C320-list] Replacing old Hood Jib Furler

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Wed Nov 29 12:16:38 PST 2006

Jeff,
Rains are not due hear for a couple more weeks....but we do have enough
fresh water in the tap thanks to the very generous folks in Colorado.
My experience with the Hood furler is that if you don't relive all of the
halyard tension when you are not sailing the main bearings will fail fairly
quickly.  Once they fail the only way to deploy and put the sail away is
with a winch, or crew with no neck.  I also found that it worked better if
you deployed the sail with the halyard just tight enough to take the weight
of the sail and the foil of the drum and then tighten the halyard once the
sail is out.

I found main bearing replacements at Costa Mesa Bearing and usually bought a
couple at a time for about 80 bucks.  Not the easiest thing to replace as
you often have to cut the remains of the bearing out of the hub with
grinders.  Once the new bearing is in it is like you have a brand new furler
and still have your couple of boat bucks left.

Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal