[C320-list] starting effort

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 09:55:41 PST 2006

Ooops, I should have mentioned something I do that I've seen before on this list.  Before starting, especially in cool temps, pull out the fuel shut-off and crank the engine for about 5 sec.  Then engage the glow plugs for another 5 before starting.

Cranking the engine w/o fuel lubricates internals and the compression also heats the cylinders.  This is also a good thing to do when starting first in the Spring after layup.

After cranking the engine for 30 sec w/o starting, one should drain the aqua-lift muffler into the bilge.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay