[C320-list] Should I buy a C320?

Dave dbrabin at optonline.net
Thu Nov 30 18:31:24 PST 2006

I moved up from a '84 Tanzer 27 (wonderful boat) to a C320 and really
love it.  It's all sort of relative...having only sailed a small dinghy
years before, the Tanzer 27 looked like an ocean liner when I first saw
it on the hard.  After a season,  it looked like a T27 :-)  When I first
looked at the C320, on the hard, it looked HUGE!  What was I thinking!?!
But, after a season, well, they do shrink in water.

I single hand the boat almost always.  Your point about the traveler is
well taken, I just leave it centered (real sailors may take offense).
The autopilot makes tacking a breeze, so to speak.  There is an autotack
mode, so I stand in front of the helm, push the autopilot buttons, and
then just handle the jib sheets as the autopilot tacks the boat thru the
wind.  Piece of cake.  You'll find the autopilot very helpful.  Not sure
if you had a tillerpilot or "rope lock" on the Tanzer tiller. Your wife
will readily take to the wheel...in fact, she has the advantage of not
having to "unlearn" push right to go left...

I don't have a furling main, though we are a bit envious.  The dutchman
on the C320 works fine once tweaked.  I actually added a Dutchman on my
Tanzer; too many hysterical-looking gymnastics wrestling the main on the
Tanzer.  I never walked away unbloodied.

I don't race the 320, but want to.  I am not competitive, but I really
hate when other boats pass me;  I'm just not that good of a sailor.  On
the other hand, the 320 has a very good reputation as a fast boat (in
the proper hands).  Never noticed a difference between the wing keel on
the C320 and that big honking piece of iron blade on the bottom of the
Tanzer...except when sailing in water 5' deep.

The Tanzer is a really heavily built boat. I enjoyed that boat, and
working on it.   I like the way the C320 is engineered and built.  Very
roomy cockpit and cabin, beamy, but doesn't feel uh, bloated.
Straightforward systems.  Fiberglass seems solid throughout.   If you
ever have a chance, tour the factory.  Really neat and interesting.

The ride is very very solid, and very comfortable compared to the
Tanzer...it's just bigger and heavier.  The 3 cylinder diesel is great
(had a 2 cylinder yanmar on the Tanzer), moves the boat well.

The family and crew will enjoy the boat.  Lots of places to hang out,
stern rail seats are coveted!  The galley is great whether you're just
storing a bag lunch and beer, or cooking.  If you overnight on the
Tanzer, you'll feel as if you went up a few stars on the hotel rating
aboard the C320.  Very roomy, nice forward and aft berths, nice potty.
The scoop stern/swim platform was great for the kids.  It's also a nice
feature if you ever contemplate falling overboard.  Getting back on is
easy...I could go on, but others have much more experience on the 320
than I, been with it only 3 or 4 years now.

The best part is this list.  You will learn alot about the boat,
cooking, mods, fixin' and life in general....

Enjoy your decision!
dave
"Wind Chill" C320