[C320-list] FW: Re: racor filters

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Mon Oct 9 04:11:51 PDT 2006

Koen,

This has been a mildly controversial topic over the 2 years that I have been following this list. Indeed  the S = 2 micron, the T = 10 micron, and the P = 30 micron.

One school of thought in to use the 10 micron here as your primary filtration and then the 2 micron final filtration on the engine (mine is Yanmar P/N 104500-55710). The logic is that you would be less likely to restrict the flowrate of diesel fuel through the Racor which could starve the engine for fuel, especially at higher rpm's.

Other Yanmar mechanics have told me that this precaution is unnecessary, as the Racor elements have plenty of flow capacity, and running the 2 micron as the primary is no problem for the fuel pump to handle. Also, if you do that and you do begin to plug, you should only have to replace the 2 micron Racor element and not the final filter. This could be a consideration out on the open seas!!

A search of the discussion list archieves may yield other opinions.

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC

http://members.cox.net/mielen