[C320-list] deck light replacement bulb

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 11:00:28 PDT 2006

Koen, there are two versions of the deck light on older boats.  Mine, #62,
has the newer version.  The difference is that the older version used the
two-prong halogen bulb while the newer uses the twist in socket, thus the
round opening.

I haven't had a working bulb in the deck light in 4 years and don't miss it.
I am trying to convert all lighting to LED when I can.  I'm toying with LED
festoon bulbs for the cabin lights, and plan on installing the OGM LED
anchor light with built-in photocell in the spring.  If and when I replace
the running lights, I'll consider LED there also.

When working with hi-intensity bulbs (halogen, xenon,) remember to use a
rubber glove on that hand.  Even a little skin oil left on the bulb can
cause premature burn-out.  Rubber/latex gloves also offer a good grip on
that stinking little bulb.  Last one I attempted to install slipped from my
paper towel (didn't have a rubber glove,) bounced on the deck and ended in
the drink.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River