[C320-list] A-B Cold Machine: power consumption

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:34:10 PDT 2006

The newer Cold Machines draw about 5A.  The factory rep. at the Annapolis Boat Show said my 13 year old machine might draw more like 6-7 A.  My question has to do with duty cycle: the amount of time under a particular situation that the machine might actually be running usually expressed as a percentage.  That is to say, my machine is on 24/7 when we're on the boat, but it only actually runs and draws current for intermittent periods.  Does anyone have any information on the duty cycle of the Cold Machine on the 320 under different ambient temperature conditions?

The spreadsheet of Estimated Cruising Electrical Loads from the (old?) 320 website shows a usage of 10 hrs/day.  That is a 40% duty cycle.  I have no idea how realistic that figure is for estimating electrical load.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay